Addressing Burnout and Mental Health Concerns among Healthcare Workers in Long-Term Care
Healing the Healers is an innovative co-design study, led by Dr. Sheila Boamah of McMaster University, to address burnout and mental health concerns among healthcare workers in long-term care. This is a two-year study funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
The overarching aim of this study is to create a healthier and more resilient LTC workforce and better work environments, during and post-pandemic, by addressing system-wide, organization-level and personal risk factors of burnout among healthcare workers (HCWs), including unregulated care providers (PSWs) and racialized and marginalized groups.
More specifically, our objectives are to:
- Engage stakeholders to discuss current challenges and opportunities in the LTC environment including workplace hazards and factors contributing to burnout development.
- Co-design a survey questionnaire/tool to measure risks of burnout among HCWs in LTC.
- Identify top priorities to co-design interventions for addressing burnout and supporting HCW health and well-being
How to Participate
Are you burned out? Tell us about it!
Are you a frontline worker, leader or manager in a long-term care home? Tell us your story about burnout! We want to hear about your experiences and how you deal with burnout and mental distress.
Are you experiencing any of these symptoms?
- excessive stress
- chronic fatigue and exhaustion
- or other signs of physical/emotional distress.
Want to help find solutions?
Join our study. You can participate by:
- Helping us to develop a survey tool for provincial use to help assess burnout in long-term care (LTC).
- Identifying and prioritizing a range of personal-, organization- and system-level solutions to improve staff wellness and prevent or reduce burnout.
Get in touch
If you are interested in participating, please provide your contact information.
For more information on this study, contact Dr. Sheila Boamah.
Healing the Healers Webinar
Tuesday, November 15, 2022, 1:00-2:00 pm EST
Join Dr. Sheila Boamah for a free webinar, Healing the Healers: Addressing burnout and mental health concerns among healthcare workers in long-term care, and then join in a discussion to share your experience and insight on how to better support healthcare workers in this sector.
Download the Study Posters
Know someone who might want to participate? Help spread the word: download and share the study posters below.
- Sheila Boamah (PI), McMaster University
- Elizabeth Alvarez (Co-I), McMaster University
- Sandra Moll (Co-I), McMaster University
- Brenda Vrklian (Co-I), McMaster University
- Rachel Weldrick (Co-I), McMaster University
- Scott Mitchell (P-KU), Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging
This study funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).